Skip to main content

Aglio e Olio

I haven't been blogging since like forever.  I have so much to write about but as soon as I hit home everyday, I struggled for that 'extra' time to indulge myself...  dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc etc will always be there for me... day in day out.  Having a live in maid is a no-no for me..... though house chores can be very extremely tiring and challenging at times.

But hey, no worries, I will be at home for 2 weeks so I will have a whole load of 'extra' time and I think I can spare some on updating my blog.

Today, I want to share one of my favorite recipes ..  Aglio e Olio Pasta.  I've tried so many times to find the perfect recipe, but to no avail.  The one I am sharing today is the closest to 'goodness'.... hehehe.... not yet there, but yeah... edible :D 

This is Nik's fav, btw... and it is one of those regular and/or 'must haves' meal in my home.

There's always a secret or trick of the trade to a good recipe and I have not yet found any good tips on this.  Let's see what we need to for this pasta.

I normally use fettuccine or angel-hair pasta for my Olio.  Boil the pasta according to the instruction, not to overcook them else your Olio won't taste as nice.  Make it al-dente :) 
Half pack of the pasta will be enough for 3-4 pax.  Once done, take the pasta out from the boiling water, drain and use a strainer to run cold water through the pasta to stop them from cooking.  Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to pasta to make sure they don't stick together.   Set aside.

A can of anchovies in olive oil.  I used this brand - John West.




Alternatively, you can also use the normal anchovies found in our local grocery stores (use a handful of those - soak in water)

Divide the anchovies - use one portion for frying the seafood and another portion to fry with the pasta.

Use ONLY fresh and large seafood :) else they will be too tiny and drowned in the sea of pasta.  That will definitely kill the taste.  I used large fresh prawns and squids - you can also add clams if you like.

Fresh seafood & half portion of the anchovies
With extra olive oil, fry 2-3 cloves of garlic (add more if you like), add the anchovies and fry again over medium heat. I always blend the garlic, so I normally used 1-2 tbsp.  Then once the garlic are all cooked, add seafood and fry again until all are cooked - medium well,  Don't overcook the seafood.
Add vegetable stock or chicken/beef stock, salt, black pepper and continue to fry.  Remove from heat and set aside.

In a separate wok, add 2-3 tbsp olive oil, fry the balance of anchovies and add just 1-2 tsp of garlic and continue to fry.  Add 1-2 cups of fresh baby spinach or other veggies that you like.  I always use baby spinach for my Olio.

Fry for 1-2 minutes and add in your pasta.  Make sure you have enough oil in the wok and stir the ingredients until they come together.  Do not hesitate to add in a lil bit of olive oil, if you need to.  Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Slow down the heat and add the seafood mixture into the pasta.  Stir until they are all mixed together.

Turn off the heat and serve while hot.  Add chili flakes and four-cheese to add flavors to your Olio...


Voila!!! Your Olio is ready!

Comments

Joshua said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

To Be or Not To Be

Deadlines were over…. Yesterday was my last day here…. And today marks a whole new beginning of my career life here….. I could be wrong or I could be right for making this decision… but I’ve made up my mind to take up the challenges, nonetheless. I know I’m subjecting myself to a lot of hardwork as well as criticism, scrutiny and observation from the rest……. and time definitely has to be compromised. But being a risk taker…. I am, I know I just have to pull myself together and face the obstacles - one at a time. It’s too late to undo things anyway and the best thing to do is to be positive. Both legs are in and it’s time to march towards the horizon with pride and dignity. Only time can answer the doubts that I have in me now… meanwhile, I need all the luck that I can have.

Angels - Mission Possible...!?

Last week was a week full of excitement for me. One, because I was busy with my work, so the week went by faster than usual…. (meaning: less time spent on ‘termenung’ & missing my husband); Two, my hubby dearest was scheduled to arrive on Friday night (3rd March 2006), the more reason for me be thrilled and eager counting the days; Three, me and the rest of March Angels ( Leilanie & T. Ina ) planned to meet up on Friday (3rd March 2006, also) to celebrate our birthdays and Leilanie had this fantastic idea of challenging ourselves to find gifts for the birthday mommies (and the gifts must cost less than 10 bucks each!) – and Leilanie, I must tell you that this challenge really made me sweat all afternoon on Thursday….. hehehe …and Four, me & my husband (and also the children) planned for a weekend getaway to Cyberview Lodge Resort & Spa on 4th & 5th March 2006. There I said it…..nothing much to say about point One & Two…. but point Three and Four…..definitely!!!

It was Nik's Birthday

It was my husband’s birthday yesterday and we took the day off to ‘merewang’ while feeling young, kononnya. The theme of the celebration? Reminiscing the days when we were courting back in 1993 minus the snow.... ancient sungguh rasanya! We had our breakfast at O’Brien’s early in the morning and took a slow stroll along the shops in OU and enjoyed every minute of it (at 10am in the morning, mind you, and the shops were barely opened). Later we watched ‘Lake House’ and we were charged RM12 only for 2 tickets (the early bird tickets were so damn cheap, I almost fainted!). There were only a few couples inside and we took the opportunity to sit right at the middle (ikut suka hati), since the theater was quite empty. How was the movie? Hmm… ok la, I would say it was the right movie for the occasion… hehe. A bit slow though, biasa la, romantic piece. The ending part was quite ‘touchy’ and yes, Mr Reeves was so stunningly handsome (oh yes, nampak tua sikit la and still got the looks).